Monday, 22. December 2014
24. 11. 12. - 11:00
German couple Lars and Patricia Kaiser and their two-year-old son Luca have been left homeless after an amateur pest exterminator left their brand-new house so contaminated with poison to get rid of ants that it was no longer habitable.
Lars, 38, said: "The house had only been built in 2010 and was perfect other than the fact they seem to be ants getting into the kitchen somehow. We didn't want to put down poison ourselves because we had a baby and called in a professional."
Sadly – the professional turned out to be an amateur who was not even registered with the Chamber of Industry and Commerce officials to carry out the work at the property at Burscheid near Cologne.
As a result when the couple left for the day expecting to return home that evening with everything settled they found themselves gasping for breath when they walked through the door. Despite opening all the windows the couple realised it was impossible to stay there the night. But when they returned the next day they found that the carpets had changed colour – wallpaper had fallen off the floor and pictures on the wall had shrivelled up and also changed colour.
Lars added: "He had reportedly used hundreds of times the recommended dose – apparently setting of smoke bombs everywhere. We called it an expert to work out exactly what we could do to decontaminating and were stunned when we were told it was impossible to rescue.
"Apparently the poison had soaked deep into the structure of the house and everything had to be pulled down and then sent off to a special site for contaminated waste. The contamination was so severe that local officials have ordered the cellar to remain in place to prevent groundwater contamination and it is no longer possible for a new house to be built on the site.
Lars and his wife, 31, are now hoping to gain compensation for a new house and the cost of decontaminating the old site from the pest controller.
Ebola's deadly reach impacts Vienna student
Austria has yet to record its first case of Ebola, but the feared virus has already had a severe impact on the lives of Africans living in Vienna.
Grigorij Sokolov Works His Magic At Vienna Konzerthaus
Whilst the world-famous Wizard of Oz played at the Volksoper, there was another Wizard in the Konzerthaus giving his 16th performance in Vienna!
Penelope Cruz To Play The Ice Cream Killer
The memoirs of the woman dubbed the Ice Cream Killer after she shot dead two ex-lovers before hacking the bodies up with a chainsaw and telling neighbours the noise was a new ice cream machine are due to be turned into a blockbuster with Penelope Cruz playing the lead role.
Kid Left In Coma After Beaten By Teacher For Talking
This is the shocking image of a little Chinese girl before and after she was punished by her teacher - for talking in class.
Freezing Rain Causes Chaos In Central Europe
Freezing weather has arrived in Europe with a vengeance with a layer of ice blanketing parts of Austria, Germany and the Czech Republic and causing traffic chaos.
Holey Smoke As Car Disappears Down Sinkhole
Motorist Wei Hsiao found himself in a hole lot of trouble in China when a giant sinkhole opened up on the road beneath him, swallowing his entire car.
Shock Moment Police Helicopter Explodes On Street
This is the moment a police helicopter exploded into a spinning ball of flame in Chile when a fire truck clipped one of its rotors.
More Than Twenty 100,000 GBP Motors Used In Bridal Convoy
A Chinese couple who wanted to have the most expensive wedding convoy possible arranged for a convoy of top of the range cars including a stretch Hummer followed by Lamborghinis, Porsches and other VIP motors.
Riot Police Star In Downs Syndrome Calendar
Spanish riot police have joined forces with Down's syndrome kids to take part in a special calendar for charity.
Chinese Nuclear Winter Smog Leaves Clinics Full
Fresh proof of Chinese scientists' claims that the country's toxic air pollution resembles a nuclear winter are shown by these images that show clinics and hospitals packed with patients suffering with trouble breathing.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|UN Security Expert Says One Jihad Poster Girl Is Dead|
|Ebola's deadly reach impacts Vienna student|
|Russian Cops Beat Man To A Pulp In Front Of Children|
|Porsche Driver Crushed After Ploughing Into Lorry|
|Grigorij Sokolov Works His Magic At Vienna Konzerthaus|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.