Sunday, 23. November 2014
10. 05. 12. - 17:00
The Austrian capital’s art trade will be marking the 150th anniversary of Gustav Klimt’s birth in style. A series of special events in 2012 will pay tribute to the artist, who was a leading light in the Vienna Secession movement and a pioneer of modernism.
It is not just Vienna's museums that will be celebrating this major Gustav Klimt milestone with special exhibitions during the Klimt anniversary year.
A nine-strong group of the city's leading art dealers and gallery owners have joined forces to explore and shed light on the myriad of traces that Klimt left in his home city. From March to December 2012 the individual galleries will be mounting exhibitions covering different aspects of his work.
The idea is not just to look at Klimt's collected works in isolation, but to place it in its socio-political context and determine its influence on artistic output during the Wiener Moderne, or Viennese Modern Age.
Led by Gustav Klimt, the Viennese Secession movement and the Wiener Werkstätte came to symbolise an era which would have a profound impact on artistic developments far beyond Austria's boarders and to this day is widely referred to as the Golden Age.
• Galerie bei der Albertina - Zetter, Gustav Klimt - Sketches. Lobkowitzplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.galerie-albertina.at
• Kovacek Spiegelgasse, Spring 2012 - The Klimt Year. Spiegelgasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek.at
• Galerie Kovacek & Zetter, Gustav Klimt and the art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Stallburggasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek-zetter.at
• Wienerroither & Kohlbacher, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoschka. Strauchgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.austrianfineart.com
• bel etage Kunsthandel, Klimt and the Wiener Werkstätte. Mahlerstrasse 15, 1010 Vienna, www.beletage.com
• Kunsthandel Giese & Schweiger, Gustav Klimt and his Time. Akademiestrasse 1, 1010 Vienna, www.gieseundschweiger.at
• Galerie Johannes Faber, Vintage Classical and Modern Photography. Dorotheergasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.jmcfaber.at
• Galerie Ruberl, Arnulf Rainer Paints Over Gustav Klimt. Himmelpfortgasse 11, 1010 Vienna, www.ruberl.at
• Kunsthandel Patrick Kovacs, Viennese Interiors in Klimt's Day. Rechte Wienzeile 31, 1040 Vienna, www.patrick-kovacs.at
Mad About Mammoths At Vienna Museum
A unique exhibition in the Austrian capital Vienna has proved a massive hit after bringing together for the first time some of the most famous frozen woolly mammoth remains.
Controversy Over Advert For Fucking Hell Beer
An Austrian political party has defended a decision to promote a local beer named after the village of Fucking.
Luigi Restaurant Cooks Up Delicious Delights For Winter Season
Brothers Luigi and Leo Doci who own the renowned Luigi restaurant chain will be cooking up a storm in Semmering this winter.
Church Porn Star In Court
A Polish-born woman who made a video of herself masturbating in church is facing six months in jail after a viewer called police when he recognised the woman.
Hugh Grant Cuddles Lamb On Animal Farm With Mrs Glock
Hugh Grant led a star-studded turnout at Austria's animal farm project which unveiled its Christmas market this week.
Cheating Wife Buries Hubby Alive For New Lover
A woman who married her sisterís fiance and then attacked him with a knife before burying him alive so she could be with her new lover is facing life in jail.
Spate of Crimes throughout Vienna and Lower Austria Solved
Four men have been arrested after committing 113 break-ins, 21 thefts and causing at least 260,000 Euros worth of damage.
Dad Punished Child, 2, With Boiling Hot Shower
A two-year-old girl is in an artificial coma and fighting for her life after her father threw her into a scalding hot shower leaving her with severe burns at the family home in the Austrian capital Vienna.
Police And Firemen Get Cold Turkey
Flipping the bird was given a new meaning in Austria this week when a truck filled with plucked turkeys overturned, closing a busy motorway in the process.
Hotel Gets A Penthouse Without The Building Stress
A hotel in the southern Austrian city of Graz has gone upmarket with a five-star penthouse suite by simply having it lifted by a crane onto the top floor.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Controversy Over Advert For Fucking Hell Beer|
|Half Naked Winnie The Pooh Banned From Playground|
|Explosive Flash In Russia Blamed On Meteor|
|Luigi Restaurant Cooks Up Delicious Delights For Winter Season|
|Greedy Panda Chews Through Weighing Scales|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.