Tuesday, 23. September 2014
10. 05. 12. - 17:00
The Austrian capital’s art trade will be marking the 150th anniversary of Gustav Klimt’s birth in style. A series of special events in 2012 will pay tribute to the artist, who was a leading light in the Vienna Secession movement and a pioneer of modernism.
It is not just Vienna's museums that will be celebrating this major Gustav Klimt milestone with special exhibitions during the Klimt anniversary year.
A nine-strong group of the city's leading art dealers and gallery owners have joined forces to explore and shed light on the myriad of traces that Klimt left in his home city. From March to December 2012 the individual galleries will be mounting exhibitions covering different aspects of his work.
The idea is not just to look at Klimt's collected works in isolation, but to place it in its socio-political context and determine its influence on artistic output during the Wiener Moderne, or Viennese Modern Age.
Led by Gustav Klimt, the Viennese Secession movement and the Wiener Werkstätte came to symbolise an era which would have a profound impact on artistic developments far beyond Austria's boarders and to this day is widely referred to as the Golden Age.
• Galerie bei der Albertina - Zetter, Gustav Klimt - Sketches. Lobkowitzplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.galerie-albertina.at
• Kovacek Spiegelgasse, Spring 2012 - The Klimt Year. Spiegelgasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek.at
• Galerie Kovacek & Zetter, Gustav Klimt and the art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Stallburggasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek-zetter.at
• Wienerroither & Kohlbacher, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoschka. Strauchgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.austrianfineart.com
• bel etage Kunsthandel, Klimt and the Wiener Werkstätte. Mahlerstrasse 15, 1010 Vienna, www.beletage.com
• Kunsthandel Giese & Schweiger, Gustav Klimt and his Time. Akademiestrasse 1, 1010 Vienna, www.gieseundschweiger.at
• Galerie Johannes Faber, Vintage Classical and Modern Photography. Dorotheergasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.jmcfaber.at
• Galerie Ruberl, Arnulf Rainer Paints Over Gustav Klimt. Himmelpfortgasse 11, 1010 Vienna, www.ruberl.at
• Kunsthandel Patrick Kovacs, Viennese Interiors in Klimt's Day. Rechte Wienzeile 31, 1040 Vienna, www.patrick-kovacs.at
Rare Bald Ibis Makes Microlight Flight To Italy
The project to introduce an extinct bird back to Europe is hailing success after successfully negotiating a new route over the Alps and training 14 Northern Bald Ibises how to fly south to winter feeding grounds in southern Tuscany.
Pat On The Back From Manure Explosive
A traffic cop in Austria got more than he bargained for after a booby trap covered him head-to-toe in manure as he was trying to catch people speeding.
Viennese Jihad Girl May Have Been Killed
Austrian police say that one of the two attractive young teenage girls who fled the country to go to Syria to fight on the side of Islamic rebels may have been killed.
Perversion of a Medical Dream
The Decline and Fall of the Otto Wagner Hospital, Vienna.
Fat Can Be Used To Burn Off Weight After New Patent Unveiled
It is being hailed as a sensation after scientists at an Austrian university patented a method that transforms fat storing cells into mini factories capable of actually destroying fat by burning it off.
Three Family Members Dead In Well Tragedy
A mother has lost her husband, her pregnant daughter and her son-in-law after a tragic accident where one of them fell into a well and the other two died while trying to carry out a failed rescue.
Brit Soldier Rescued After Climbing Mountain In T Shirt
A British soldier who tackled the frozen Austrian Alps wearing just shorts and a T-shirt has been rapped by officials after he had to be rescued from the snowy peak.
Mum And Daughter Struck By Lightning In Pool
A mother and her daughter were hospitalised after they were struck by lightning Ė in a swimming pool.
Police Nab Porn Star Who Filmed In Local Church
A woman accused of making a porn movie in a local church has been caught after an informant tipped off police that he recognised her by her breasts after an appeal for information.
Young Hip Hop Dancer Gets 18 Years For Drug Smuggling
A blonde hip hop dancer and charity worker promised an international career after she was spotted by a talent scout has been jailed for 18 years in Indonesia after her work offer turned out to have been part of an elaborate drugs con.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Schoolboys Wear Dresses To Support Transgender Classmate|
|Pat On The Back From Manure Explosive|
|Killer Cheese Stolen In Liechtenstein|
|Masseuse In Demand After Extras For Football Players|
|Shock Moment Lift Crushes Student|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.