Saturday, 19. April 2014
10. 05. 12. - 17:00
The Austrian capital’s art trade will be marking the 150th anniversary of Gustav Klimt’s birth in style. A series of special events in 2012 will pay tribute to the artist, who was a leading light in the Vienna Secession movement and a pioneer of modernism.
It is not just Vienna's museums that will be celebrating this major Gustav Klimt milestone with special exhibitions during the Klimt anniversary year.
A nine-strong group of the city's leading art dealers and gallery owners have joined forces to explore and shed light on the myriad of traces that Klimt left in his home city. From March to December 2012 the individual galleries will be mounting exhibitions covering different aspects of his work.
The idea is not just to look at Klimt's collected works in isolation, but to place it in its socio-political context and determine its influence on artistic output during the Wiener Moderne, or Viennese Modern Age.
Led by Gustav Klimt, the Viennese Secession movement and the Wiener Werkstätte came to symbolise an era which would have a profound impact on artistic developments far beyond Austria's boarders and to this day is widely referred to as the Golden Age.
• Galerie bei der Albertina - Zetter, Gustav Klimt - Sketches. Lobkowitzplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.galerie-albertina.at
• Kovacek Spiegelgasse, Spring 2012 - The Klimt Year. Spiegelgasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek.at
• Galerie Kovacek & Zetter, Gustav Klimt and the art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Stallburggasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.kovacek-zetter.at
• Wienerroither & Kohlbacher, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoschka. Strauchgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, www.austrianfineart.com
• bel etage Kunsthandel, Klimt and the Wiener Werkstätte. Mahlerstrasse 15, 1010 Vienna, www.beletage.com
• Kunsthandel Giese & Schweiger, Gustav Klimt and his Time. Akademiestrasse 1, 1010 Vienna, www.gieseundschweiger.at
• Galerie Johannes Faber, Vintage Classical and Modern Photography. Dorotheergasse 12, 1010 Vienna, www.jmcfaber.at
• Galerie Ruberl, Arnulf Rainer Paints Over Gustav Klimt. Himmelpfortgasse 11, 1010 Vienna, www.ruberl.at
• Kunsthandel Patrick Kovacs, Viennese Interiors in Klimt's Day. Rechte Wienzeile 31, 1040 Vienna, www.patrick-kovacs.at
Pink Easter bunny helps Vienna art world pay tribute to Dürer
The Viennese art world has created its own version of the Easter Bunny – by making a giant sized sculpture of the famous Albrecht Dürer painting currently on display until 29 June as part of the exhibition "Dürer, Michelangelo, Rubens"
Pressure Group To Tackle Victims Of Austrian Officialdom
A group of businessmen fed up at the way companies are being squeezed not only by red tape but also by ever newer taxes have taken to the Internet to try and build up pressure for change.
First Hotel in Millstatt Celebrates 130th Anniversary on Summer 2014
Luxury hotel See-Villa in Millstatt, Carinthia opens its doors anew to welcome the 2014 summer season and celebrates its 130th founding anniversary in Austria's summer capital.
Austrian Teen Girls Become Pin Ups For Syrian Jihad
Interpol is searching for two Austrian teenage girls who they believe have been tricked into going to Syria to fight on the side of Islamic rebels.
As seen at Haydn Kino: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Film review by Kostyantyn Steblovskyy
Schools Ordered To Save, But Also To Buy Expensive Scales
Austria's embattled finance ministry has been dragged into a new scandal after it emerged that at the same time as demanding schools save 57 Millionen Euros, they were also expected to find an additional 3 million to buy an approved set of weighing scales.
OAP Hunts Down THIS Hit And Run Cyclist
Does anyone recognise this cyclist? If so you can get yourself 200 euros, and do a good deed in the process.
Property price rise continues
The price of property in Vienna has now spiralled so much that every 4th apartment comes with a price tag of 500,000 or more. And every second flat costs 300,000 or more.
Free Staff For One Person Companies - But Only In NÖ
Since the beginning of the year one-man-companies, the so called "Ein-Personen-Unternehmen" in Lower Austria have been entitled to help in the form of a free assistant.
What is on at Burg Kino this week? (18 April - 24 April)
This week at the Burg Kino on the Opernring the following films are showing:
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Austrian Teen Girls Become Pin Ups For Syrian Jihad|
|Turtle flies from Vienna to India to try his luck with the ladies|
|Austria Accused Of Ignoring Giant Nazi Swastika|
|Muslim Brotherhood leader denies move to Graz|
|Two teenage girls go missing as they fly from Austria to fight in Syria|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.